[Telepathy] Telepathy 1.0 and moving to Github

George Barrett bob at bob131.so
Mon Oct 31 18:18:10 UTC 2016

On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 06:59:07PM +0200, George Kiagiadakis wrote:
> 1) Where should we keep tickets? Right now they are also split between
> bugzilla and github. No decision has been made yet. Our options seem
> to be bugzilla, github and phabricator.freedesktop.org.
>
> -> github: most user friendly, very limited
> -> bugzilla: less user friendly, more options, some basic ones are not
> available though (they require admin access...); currently cluttered
> with old & dead stuff
> -> phabricator: even less user friendly (imho), but the most powerful
> one

My vote would be for keeping that stuff on the FD.O Bugzilla. I would
argue that Bugzilla has an edge over GitHub in that the BZ workflow
promotes patch nit-picking and a clean commit history:

 * Individual patches are submitted instead of pull requests for
   branches.
 * BZ has a great system for patch review
 * Bug discussions and patches share the same thread
 * There's no big "MERGE NOW" button to be tempted by mid-review (I'm
   guilty of this)
 * Poor commit messages are understood as valid grounds to reject a
   patch, and editing a patch is easier than rewriting branch history
 * There's no argument over git merge vs git rebase, over a commit log
   full of merge commits or rewriting history

Particularly with a project with as many components as Telepathy, I feel
like GitHub issues would be a definite step backward.

I'd also recommend BZ over Phabricator, but admittedly this opinion is
not particularly well informed. My previous impressions of it has been
that it's in desperate need of a man page, not a good quality in a
website. I wouldn't be the only one who is more comfortable with BZ.
That said, I have no idea what additional features it provides; it may
well be worth it for Killer Feature X.