[Uim] Using VIM

Paul Hampson Paul.Hampson at anu.edu.au
Tue Aug 3 17:33:46 EEST 2004

On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 04:29:43PM +0900, Srot BULL wrote:
> After shift+space or control+j, I am able to encode in Japanese and the
> pop-list that allows me to select the desired Kanji Character comes out
> properly but after selecting the correct characters, vim displays them
> in garbled characters. "漢字" is the result of my copy and paste from
> vim to this email. As you can see, I was able to select the right
> character that I wanted to display but, when you look at it in vim it is
> all garbled characters...

Check the value of your 'encoding' setting... It may be latin1 or some
other 8-bit only encoding...

I can't think of anything else, but I use vim in a uxterm, and it works
flawlessly for me, so I'm not sure I can help.

If it helps, this is the relevant part of my .vimrc:
set encoding=utf-8
set fileencodings=ucs-bom,iso-2022-jp,utf-8,euc-jp,sjis,latin1

Also, I have the following in there, that may be more relevant to your
problem? (I don't think they're used by vim, only gvim...)
set guifont=-misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso10646-1
set guifontwide=-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal-ja-13-120-75-75-c-120-iso10646-1

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson at Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.