[Uim] Scheme to determine default IM

TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki tkng at xem.jp
Fri Aug 6 08:15:53 EEST 2004

You should replace "unifying" in this mail with "multiplexing". ;-)

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 13:07:54 +0900
Takuro Ashie <ashie at homa.ne.jp> wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 04:52:15 +0900
> TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki <tkng at xem.jp> wrote:
>
> > Bridge. I think unifying at libuim is impossible. If we do so, we
> > cannot support multiple input methods.
>
> It is a little terrible, but I'dont think "impossible".
> Why do you think "impossible"?

I guess there is little different between my "unifying" and your
"unifying". I meant "bridge doesn't know uim has multiple input methods
or not". libuim must know it has multiple input methods.

> > How can we? Do you mean we can realize it with a combination of
> > current helper protocol and custom API? (Sorry, I don't follow
> > custom API damn well. But because I 'must' know all other stuff in
> > helper API, I couldn't imagine any other possibility.)
>
> I think "minimal implementation" is possible by using current
> "branch/leaf" message (but, of course we have to add new prop_*).

I meant adding new command like "prop_engine_*".

> My answer is in the patch I posted yesterday.
> (It may not correspond with your draft, so we should continue more
> discussion.)

I saw your answer patch. It seems great enough for test use. I could
recognize some problems of current helper system.

> But there are some issues:
>
>  * We should confirm whether bridge is allowed to modify the contents
>  of the communication between helper and IM engine or not.

Categorizing of commands is good way, I think. Like:
"prop:engine-change:anthy". (Hmm, but this example seems not good way.)

>  * It cannot categorize IM engines by language groups (such as SCIM).
>  * Some IM engine doesn't communicate with helper, so current
>  interrupting design doesn't work well with it.
>
> To solve second problem, we should introduce another concept instead
> of the current branch/leaf.

I agree.

> But I'm still wondering whether IM-switcher need to know the locale of
> the appilication or not.

I want to know what charset I can use. (I intended inserting character
from other process, not for im-switcher. I should split this item to
other mail.)

To tell the truth, I don't use any helper-toolbar. So, I want to make
independent im-switcher. Attached file is mock up of im-switcher app.

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 08:32:00 +0900
YamaKen <yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp> wrote:

> You are discussing 'multiplexing input methods' and
> 'multiplexed mode'. Aren't you?

I didn't know the word 'multiplexing'. Thanks.

--
TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki
http://kodou.net/