[Uim] A problem using uim and anthy in KDE

YamaKen yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp
Wed Feb 25 07:24:17 EET 2004

Hi all, I'm a committer of uim.
Mainly acts as porting uim to the Zaurus Linux-PDA.

At Tue, 24 Feb 2004 02:05:51 +1100,
Paul.Hampson at anu.edu.au wrote:

> > >Perhaps we should make one...?
>
> > Good idea!  I think it will be very helpful to people who use uim, or any
> > conversion input method, for the first time.  I was told that uim's key
> > usage was almost same as jmode's and found a how-to page* in Anthy Wiki,
> > but couple of key combinations don't seem to work.  Since uim and anthy is
> > going to be the default input method for Japanese in a major distribution,
> > maybe it's time to make a tutorial?  In my opinion, the page should
> > consist of three sections: Before entering conversion mode, In conversion
> > mode and How to get special characters.

Sounds good. It will help palmtop uim users not only desktop
environment users.

> Since the uim keys are processed using the scheme files in
> /usr/share/uim, that'd be the first place to look. You want
> generic-key.scm and the appropriate .scm file for your uim backend...
>
> It's be amusing to write a program to turn the .scm files into
> key definitions, but in the meantime here's the manual method.
>
> They're written in scheme so it's prolly hard to get started. You're
> looking for things like
> (define keyjob
>  (lambda (key keystate)
>   (or
>    ( one key setup )
>    ( other key setup )
>   )
>  )
> )

I have just finished implementing a new key-binding method,
called 'define-key'. This makes key-binding easy as following.

(define-key anthy-kana-toggle-key? "q")

See anthy.scm for more example. Transitions on any other files
such as generic-key.scm will follow soon.

http://freedesktop.org:8080/svn/uim/trunk/scm/anthy.scm

I hope this helps making a good tutorial.

YamaKen  yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp