[Uim] Typing traditional Chinese with UIM

Jon Babcock jon at kanji.com
Wed May 5 06:50:14 EEST 2004

Duncan Mak wrote:

> I wrote to the list awhile ago. I still haven't found a way to write
> only traditional Chinese characters with UIM. Is there a way?

I think the answer is 'not yet'.

Uim-pyunihan has both simplified and traditional Chinese, all
the kanji/hanzi/hanja included in the unified Han database of
Unicode 4.x, in fact. At least that's what I tried to include.
But I don't think there is a font available for Linux that will
display all these. And, generally the fontless kanji appear
first in the list of candidates. Not a satisfactory situation,
especially if you only want to write using traditional
characters. As I mentioned in an earlier message, I don't have
time to work on this until next month. Also, my personal itch is
to make an IME that allows the input of any kanji, regardless of
whether it is considered simplified or traditional or Japanese
or Korean. This is not the same thing as an IME for traditional
Chinese. Hopefully, a native Chinese writer will take the lead
in doing that.

Jon

--
Jon Babcock <jon at kanji.com>