[Uim] Should we have a stable branch?

Ken Deeter ktdeeter at alumni.princeton.edu
Mon May 10 07:46:58 EEST 2004

> Hi,
>
> Now I'm thinking whether we should have stable branch or not. Though
> I'm not so realizing, number of uim users is on the increase, we had
> better provide a user with the stable software obviously.
>
> Because number of uim developers are not so many, I'm not confident in
> maintain 2 branches. (Of course we can, but I want to keep development
> speed as far as possible.)
>
> How do you feel?

I think instead of doing it based on application stability, branches
should be created for API and ABI stability. If developers feel that the
API is not yet 'complete' then no 'stable' branch should be created.
Once there is an API which people can say "this is good enough, the rest
is expiremental", then a branch can be created, and the main trunk can
start to introduce non-API/ABI compatible changes.

With only few developers, having a stable branch just for the sake of
having a stable branch doesn't make sense to me. It will just go
neglected. If you can say however,"this API is complete" then the
software shouldn't require that many changes that affect stability.

My 2 cents

Ken