[Uim] uim environment problems

Jan Willem Stumpel jstumpel at planet.nl
Mon Aug 8 15:34:03 EEST 2005

What are the opinions on this list about the Debian im-switch
system (which is now automatically installed when you install uim)?

After some recent Debian (Sid) upgrade uim-xim did not work
anymore on my system. It turned out that some new file,
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/90im-switch, unset the XMODIFIERS and
GTK_IM_MODULE environment variables.

It seems im-switch makes the default assumption that only people
whose LANG setting is Japanese, Chinese, or Korean would ever have
need of uim. For instance:

   jws at vega:~$ im-switch -l
   No alternatives defined for language en_GB
   The following languages have been configured to use input
   methods:
   ja_JP

But I think the whole point of UTF-8 internationalisation is that
anybody should be able to input any language, no matter what the
(GUI) interface language of the user's computer happens to be.

Regards, Jan