[Uim] Some thoughts about reset function

TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki tkng at xem.jp
Sat Jan 1 01:09:41 EET 2005

Happy new year!

During the last year, I couldn't gear to uim. Especially, in the latter
half of last year, my activity was dormant and succession of errors.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough time to develop uim until March of
2005. But I'll graduate from a university in March, so I'll be able to
find time to develop uim.

Currently, uim's reset function is not completed. It's defined, but not
implemented correctly.

Before implementing of this function, we must define the semantic of
reset.

What is associated with the word 'reset'?

Here, I want to use an analogy. Sometimes I play computer games, such as
Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, and so on. If I press 'reset' button of the
game machine, what will occur?

All memory will be cleared, game will start again from the beginning. My
playing data will not be saved. That is I want to say, if reset button
is pressed, playing data will be lost, all things will return to initial
state exept already saved data.

According to this analogy, can we say that 'if reset function was
called, context should goes to initial state'?

If reset function was called:

 - preedit strings should not be committed
 - input mode should be initial state
 - preedit strings should be cleared

This is my opinion. Everything must be the same as newly created
context.

It's another problem that 'preedit should be committed when input method
was turned off'. Of course we should so, but such function should not be
called as 'reset'. About such issues, I want to write another mail.

Regards,

--
TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki
tkng at xem.jp