[Uim] Korean input

David Oftedal david at start.no
Tue Jul 19 13:11:12 EEST 2005

Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai wrote:

>I do not have the source right now (only have email access), so please
>excuse me for asking this. :)
>
>I am collecting information for the documentation.
>
>For the Korean input, which input methods do we support?
>
>Do we support:
>
>- Beolsik 2
>- Beolsik 3/390
>- Beolsik 3/Final
>
>I have been using Beolsik 2 for a while now, and to be honest I find it to
>suck hard for US keyboards.
>
>Has anyone ever worked on a hiragana-like input system?  So that if I want
>to type: annyeong haseyo I type it like it is and get the right jamo and not
>having to type (in Beolsik 2) dkssudgktpdy (which means nothing for me).
>
>Typing : ann-yeo-ng ha-se-yo (without the -, merely boundary markers) would
>make way more sense to me.  I cannot understand why, for example Microsoft,
>forces their users to use this Beolsik input method.
>
>Thanks for the information,

We have one, called romaja.scm. Actually, there are two romaja.scm and
the new one's meant to replace the older, so you should try grabbing the
newest one from http://home.no.net/david/romaja.scm just to be sure. If
you drop it into /usr/share/uim/ and restart all the different UIM
processes (perhaps restarting X altogether is a good idea) it should
work, since the old one's already linked from hangul.scm. The difference
between the two is very clear: The new one has thousands more hangeul
syllables, and the old one requires each one to start with a capital
letter, whereas the new one doesn't.

It uses a very primitive style of romanization - For instance, "Kamsa
hamnida" has to be written "gamsa habnida". However, it does
differentiate between initial r and final l. When a syllable is
ambiguous, it can be terminated using the space bar, but it usually
isn't necessary.