[Uim] Korean input

Park Jae-hyeon jhpark at kias.re.kr
Tue Jul 19 15:52:33 EEST 2005

Hello,

Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <asmodai at in-nomine.org> writes:

> Typing : ann-yeo-ng ha-se-yo (without the -, merely boundary markers) would
> make way more sense to me.  I cannot understand why, for example Microsoft,
> forces their users to use this Beolsik input method.

Perhaps Microsoft is not aware of the needs of non-Korean people.
Koreans use a layout rooted in a variant of a mechanical typewriter in
which one keystroke corresponds to one Korean alphabet.

> >It uses a very primitive style of romanization - For instance, "Kamsa
> >hamnida" has to be written "gamsa habnida". However, it does
> >differentiate between initial r and final l. When a syllable is
> >ambiguous, it can be terminated using the space bar, but it usually
> >isn't necessary.
>
> Is there a particular reason to settle on the old romanization style?  All
> literature I encounter seems to use "kamsa hamnida" versus "gamsa habnida".

Roughly speaking, "kamsa hamnida" is how 감사합니다 is pronounced, and
"gamsa habnida" is how it is written.  You do not expect an `English
input method' to translate "inuf" to "enough", or a Japanese input
method to translate "tokyo" to "toukyou".

Take a look at http://www.jw-stumpel.nl/stestu.html#T6.4.2
for more information.

Regards,

Jae-hyeon