[Uim] License question

Kenichi Handa handa at m17n.org
Wed Jul 20 15:48:21 EEST 2005

In article <20050720042138.GA38575 at nexus.ninth-circle.org>, Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <asmodai at in-nomine.org> writes:

> -On [20050720 04:34], Kenichi Handa (handa at m17n.org) wrote:
>> I must confess that I'm not 100% sure about the copyright of
>> the file zh-py.mim included in m17n-db.  It is generated by
>> the attached Emacs Lisp program.  The program itself is
>> surely mine.  But, Emacs is using GPLed file pinyin.map
>> included in "cce" package.

> With the GPL I always border on the safe side.  Might be best to create our
> pwn pinyun table then.

I've just created one from the Unicode Han Database
"Unihan.txt" using the entries kMandarin and kHanyuPinyu.
As far as I see this page:
    http://www.unicode.org/copyright.html#Exhibit1
it's possible to use the resulting map in an LGPLed software.

The resulting map contains over 20000 character entries more
than pinyin.map and 96 character entries less (e.g. "ng" for
U+5514).  As I don't know those 96 entries in pinyin.map are
bugs or what missing in Unihan.txt, I'm now checking one by
one in my Chinese dictionary (just 96, soon to be done).
When I finish checking and adding missing one by hand to the
map, I'll announce it.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa at m17n.org