[Uim] Korean input

Park Jae-hyeon jhpark at kias.re.kr
Fri Jul 22 05:08:59 EEST 2005

TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki <tkng at xem.jp> writes:

> If I don't have laptop, yes, then I'll try to install a Japanese input
> method. But when I want to type only a few characters, I'll use a web
> service to get Japanese text from romanized characters.
>
> http://chasen.org/~taku/software/ajax/ime/
> https://sumibi.org/sumibi-ajax/
>
> Is there similar service in Korea? If not, if we can make a web service
> of uim, is it useful?

These sites are very interesting!  Now I understand your question.  I
don't know of a web site for romaja-hangeul conversion, although I
know a command, hcode: http://jshin.net/faq/qa8.html#hcode .  When I
went to the US in 2000, I only had an access to a Macintosh.  I
connected to a Linux machine in Korea using telnet, and converted
romaja to hangeul using hcode, to send email to my parents.  It was
very hard because the telnet software did not display any Korean
character.  At that time, the web browser on the machine did not
display Korean characters, either, and Unicode was not in wide use as
today.

Yes, the website should be very useful.  Nice idea!

Regards,

Jae-hyeon