[Uim] Development reformation: New versioning and release process

YamaKen yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp
Sun Nov 27 20:04:31 EET 2005

Konbanwa :)

At Sun, 27 Nov 2005 18:33:43 +0100,
asmodai at in-nomine.org wrote:
> -On [20051127 18:10], YamaKen (yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp) wrote:
> >  - minor version is frequently increased for each stable
> >    release (as like 0.4.8 -> 0.4.9)
>
> I think you meant:
>
> 0.4.x -> 0.5.x

No. What I meant is that I want to increment the minor version
when we change as much as "0.4.8 -> 0.4.9". It removes
misleadings about amount of changes.

> >* misc
> >  - bug fixes should be backported to previous release branch
>
> In effect this means: bugfixes in trunk get backported to the current
> release branch?

Ah, my words were incorrect. "bugfixes in trunk get backported
to latest release branch" is that.

Suppose that we have 1.2.0 as latest stable release and a bugfix
is committed to trunk. Then we backport the fix to "1.2 branch"
and 1.2.1 will be released later.

> >  - security fixes can be appeared in a release branch at
> >    first, then forward-ported to trunk
>
> To ensure fast correction in production software?

And to prevent causing a time lag between the commit and tarball
release.

YamaKen  yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp