[Uim] Development reformation: New versioning and release process

Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai asmodai at in-nomine.org
Sun Nov 27 20:20:55 EET 2005

-On [20051127 19:05], YamaKen (yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp) wrote:
>At Sun, 27 Nov 2005 18:33:43 +0100,
>asmodai at in-nomine.org wrote:
>> -On [20051127 18:10], YamaKen (yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp) wrote:
>> >  - minor version is frequently increased for each stable
>> >    release (as like 0.4.8 -> 0.4.9)
>>
>> I think you meant:
>>
>> 0.4.x -> 0.5.x
>
>No. What I meant is that I want to increment the minor version
>when we change as much as "0.4.8 -> 0.4.9". It removes
>misleadings about amount of changes.

Given your versioning scheme:

version number consist of major.minor.patchlevel

Increasing a minor version would mean 4 -> 5.  What you increment in the
example seems to be the patchlevel.
Or have I misunderstood?

>Suppose that we have 1.2.0 as latest stable release and a bugfix
>is committed to trunk. Then we backport the fix to "1.2 branch"
>and 1.2.1 will be released later.

Wakarimashita.

Also:

  - no stable branches are created ("major version branch" is also) since
    our development on the trunk is contiguous and linear. such branching
    makes no sense

This means that the major of uim will never get moved up to another digit?

Anyway, find attached an updated DocBook/XML file that lays out this scheme.
Some things need to be filled in.

Free Tibet! http://www.savetibet.org/ | http://www.andf.info/
http://www.tendra.org/ | http://www.in-nomine.org/ | catcher at in-nomine.org
When you are right, you cannot be too radical; When you are wrong, you
cannot be too conservative.