[Uim] Chinese pinyin input methods supporting segment conversion for UIM?

Etsushi Kato ek.kato at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 06:57:54 EEST 2006

On 6/30/06, Yaohan Chen <yaohan.chen at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been using UIM with input methods like Anthy and Canna to enter Japanese.
> However I cannot find an easy-to-use Chinese pinyin input method for UIM. The
> included pinyin and m17n py only converts individual Chinese characters, but
> don't allow entering whole phrases or sentences and converting by segment
> like Anthy and Canna. I read that Wnn supports Chinese, but it looks like
> it's not supported on UIM yet.

Yep.  There is no Chinese developer of uim yet, and I (and possibly other
uim developers) have little knowledge about inputting multi-segment
Chinese, sorry.

> I used to use SCIM for both Chinese and Japanese, but recently I haven't been
> able to run it. It would be nice if there is a good pinyin input method for
> UIM. Does anyone have suggestions? Thank you!

If there is any convenient library which handles multi-segment Chinese input,
we can develop new IM for uim using the library.   Do you have any
idea about Chinese input library?  Or what is common way used for
multi-segment Chinese input in Unix?

Cheers,
--
Etsushi Kato