[virglrenderer-devel] moving to gitlab PRs

Jakob Bornecrantz jakob at collabora.com
Sun Aug 12 16:56:29 UTC 2018

On 06/08/18 21:26, Dave Airlie wrote:
> I think it's time we started trialling out gitlab PRs for
> virglrenderer. Please feel free to submit them, you may have to
> ping/remind me of them sometimes, until I get used to the workflow.

So some notes for trying this out for a couple of days.

1, So far I have been manually downloading the changes and applying SoB
and RB. Wish there was a way for Gitlab to do this for us. We could also
have a bot that does this for us.

2, Tags can not be added to Merge Requests by reporters (the user level
of ACL under developer) and they where able in the past but Gitlab
changed this so this probably not something that the will change for us.

3, It's easier to get a overview and since working on a branch level
people don't leave a lit of old patches/MR's up which it possible to use
the list of merge requests for a overview unlike patchwork's.

And some thoughts on top of all this. I dislike that Gitlab (and to my
knowledge all gitlab like collaboration tools) doesn't record things or
such things as RBs and SoBs into the git commit. If we want to keep that
recorded in the git history and not just on the webpage we need keep
doing 1.

If we want to streamline the tagging process so it's more streamlined we
would either need to add more developers (and as such more people that
can push to master) or add some sort of bot that does it for us.

The bot could also solve 1 for us and for MR to be merged once reviewed
and all tests pass from the CI. Or if we want after a SoB from a
maintainer has been added at as well. A bot like this has been used in
other projects.

Thoughts and comments?

Cheers, Jakob.