[virglrenderer-devel] GL_ARB_buffer_storage implementation

Gurchetan Singh gurchetansingh at chromium.org
Sat Mar 28 00:10:43 UTC 2020

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 5:17 AM Elie Tournier <tournier.elie at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently working on OpenGL 4.5 support for virgl.
> For that, we need to implement ARB_clear_texture and ARB_buffer_storage.
> The first one is almost finish, and I should submit a MR soon-ish.
> The second one, ARB_buffer_storage is trickier to implement.
>
> So I'm wondering if any of you started something already?
> Do you have a design in mind?

Hmm, depends on where you want to implement ARB_buffer_storage:

1) Single process, host GL drivers (normal QEMU) -- yes, I think
RESOURCE_CREATE_BLOB here[1] should do the trick.  A bunch of virglrenderer
cleanups need to land first though.
2) multi-process, host GL drivers (vhost-user gpu) -- trickier, need
emulated coherent memory [2] for the general case.
3) multi-process, host GLES drivers (crosvm) -- even trickier and driver
specific, since GLES doesn't have GL_MAP_COHERENT_BIT.

[1]
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/virgl/drm-misc-next/-/commits/virtio-gpu-next
[2] https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2019-April/215731.html

Thanks, have a nice day,