[waffle] Some new and old fixes

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 10:14:18 PDT 2014

On 15/07/14 17:30, Jose Fonseca wrote:
> On 15/07/14 17:22, Emil Velikov wrote:

>>> I tried to build this branch with mingw/msvc but I get
>>>
>>>    CMake Error at cmake/Modules/WaffleDefineOS.cmake:31 (message):
>>>    Unrecognized CMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME="Windows"
>>>
>>> Is that expected?
>>>
>>> Jose
>> Yes that is expected as these patches (the branch) do _not_ include WGL
>> support but are generic fixes. I would like to get the WGL in soon after this
>> yet that will require version bump as I have introduced a couple API changes.
>>
>> Meanwhile if you're around I would appreciate if you can give me some tips on
>> how to get msvc 2013 non *_xp platform working.
>
> This is why I wanted to build it myself -- so I can try to repro whatever
> problems you're having.

As mentioned previously the problem is not specific to waffle. A blank Hello
World C project exhibits the same issue. The patches + wgl can be found at
branch temp - note it's very messy in there :\

> IMO, it would be better the patches to enable building with MSVC are commited
> before, and not after, the generic patches. So that people other than yourself
> can try build it, and verify that your patches do what's expected.

Ack. Will take a look at squashing WGL into a few commits and getting those in
as well ASAP.

>> I have installed the following (in the exact order)
>> * Win 7 64bit Professional
>> * MSVC 2013 Ultimate
>> * Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 SDK
>
> I'm not sure what this "Visual Studio 2013 SDK" is, but I doubt it's necessary.

AFAIK the package provides of the basic windows sdk. Without it there is not
even a single core header/import library (windows.h, kernel.lib...) present on
my harddrive. And obviously no C programs that rely on those manage to build.

MFC seems to work, I'm assuming that .NET works as well _without_ the sdk :\

>> The normal (v120) platform toolkit complains about missing headers (including
>> windows.h) and import libraries. I have yet to find any useful information on
>> the web about MSVC 2013, and all the "fixes" are not helping - "copy
>> everything from the xp profile to the normal one" or "format and reinstall
>> everything including windows".
>>
>> If you know a certain setup (the non-ultimate compiler ?)/install order or
>> other way of resolving this I'm all ears. I've spend 3+ days on this already :\
>
> I have Visual Studio Ultimate 2013 and it works fine.

I would appreciate if you can find out where SDKDDKVer.h and windows.h are
located for the v120 toolset and which program provided them.

>> Thanks
>> Emil
>>

> Which cmake version are you using?

cmake-3.0.0-win32-x86 + python-2.7.7-win32

-Emil