[waffle] [wflinfo] [RFC] platform-specific info from wflinfo

Chad Versace chad.versace at intel.com
Wed Feb 11 18:01:26 PST 2015

On 02/10/2015 01:20 PM, Frank Henigman wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 4:08 PM, Frank Henigman <fjhenigman at google.com> wrote:

> Looks like Issue #3 is the format of the information.  I thought it
> was given we should duplicate existing glxinfo/eglinfo/etc as closely
> as possible, in order to be a drop-in replacement, but if I follow the
> suggestions Chad made on github
> (https://github.com/fjhenigman/waffle/commit/d0b45bb9850e6ae29ee379a2d3e8ba14afc1b872)
> we'll be diverging.  "Improving" on existing tools is ok with me - I
> don't have a huge investment in code to parse their output - but I
> wonder if others feel differently.

(+Jordan, +Dylan, questions below)

Oh, when I made those Github comments, I didn't know you were trying to
duplicate glxinfo output verbatim. Now I understand why the GLX lines
look so different from wflinfo's current output.

glxinfo wraps long lines for extension strings and separates extension names with commas.
wflinfo intentionally prints extensions strings in their original form: single line,
extension names separated by spaces. If I recall correctly, Jordan and Dylan wanted
that format so that consumers who parsed wflinfo text output would be guaranteed a stable
format.

If wflinfo has mixed line formats (some lines are comma-separated and wrapped, some
are space-separated), I fear that may cause problems for already-existing consumers.
Dylan, Jordan, do you have an opinion here? Does this really matter?