[waffle] [wflinfo] [RFC] platform-specific info from wflinfo

Jordan Justen jordan.l.justen at intel.com
Wed Feb 11 20:53:22 PST 2015

On 2015-02-11 18:01:26, Chad Versace wrote:
> On 02/10/2015 01:20 PM, Frank Henigman wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 4:08 PM, Frank Henigman <fjhenigman at google.com> wrote:
>
> > Looks like Issue #3 is the format of the information.  I thought it
> > was given we should duplicate existing glxinfo/eglinfo/etc as closely
> > as possible, in order to be a drop-in replacement

I don't think this is a goal of wflinfo.

I think a goal of wflinfo would be to provide all the same information
as glxinfo (but, mostly only in verbose mode), but I don't think it is
a goal to match the output format of glxinfo.

> > , but if I follow the
> > suggestions Chad made on github
> > (https://github.com/fjhenigman/waffle/commit/d0b45bb9850e6ae29ee379a2d3e8ba14afc1b872)
> > we'll be diverging.  "Improving" on existing tools is ok with me - I
> > don't have a huge investment in code to parse their output - but I
> > wonder if others feel differently.
>
> (+Jordan, +Dylan, questions below)
>
> Oh, when I made those Github comments, I didn't know you were trying
> to duplicate glxinfo output verbatim. Now I understand why the GLX
> lines look so different from wflinfo's current output.
>
> glxinfo wraps long lines for extension strings and separates
> extension names with commas. wflinfo intentionally prints extensions
> strings in their original form: single line, extension names
> separated by spaces. If I recall correctly, Jordan and Dylan wanted
> that format so that consumers who parsed wflinfo text output would
> be guaranteed a stable format.
>
> If wflinfo has mixed line formats (some lines are comma-separated
> and wrapped, some are space-separated), I fear that may cause
> problems for already-existing consumers. Dylan, Jordan, do you have
> an opinion here? Does this really matter?

I think you are right, and for consistency we should avoid adding
comma separation to values.

But, I think more importantly we wanted to have each line of output
follow a 'Field: Value' format.

Field obviously can't contain the ':' character, and we decided that
Value should not contain line breaks.

-Jordan