[waimea] Background & trasparency

David Reveman c99drn at cs.umu.se
Wed Jun 9 02:52:31 EEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 01:06 +0200, frankx wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've just installed waimea 0.5.0 but I cannot understand how to change
> the background ! O_o

The easiest solution is to start waimea with '--external-bg' switch and
just set the background with any program you like. Make sure that the
program supports the _XROOTPMAP_ID hint, if you want translucent
decorations to work correctly.

> someone can help me ?? Many thanks
>
> Just another question: is possible to have transparency as in waimea
> 0.4.0 ??

Transparency is built into the style engine in much more genuine way
now. Each decoration window is an ARGB drawing surface, it's up to the
style to do whatever it likes with this drawing surface.

Currently only pseudo-transparency for top-level windows is supported by
waimea, but as soon as I have time, I'll try to write a compositing
manager for waimea. This will allow for effects like real transparency
and window shadows on X servers that support the new Compositing
extension.

-David