Ubuntu build tips

Darxus at chaosreigns.com Darxus at chaosreigns.com
Sat Nov 6 12:26:08 PDT 2010

A couple tips I think it would be nice to include in the build
instructions for use with Ubuntu:

When the build complains about a package named "example" not being found,
you can find it with:

$ sudo aptitude install apt-file && sudo apt-file update && apt-file search /example.pc

(.pc stands for package config)

To use the stuff built and installed into $HOME/install you need to do:

$ export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/darxus/install/lib/pkgconfig/

(or similar for non-bash shells)

Ubuntu Maverick packages that I've installed to resolve build dependencies
(so far):

libgl1-mesa-dev xutils-dev libtalloc-dev libdrm-dev autoconf
x11proto-kb-dev libegl1-mesa-dev libgles2-mesa-dev libgdk-pixbuf2.0-dev
libudev-dev libxcb-dri2-0-dev libxcb-xfixes0-dev shtool libffi-dev
libpoppler-glib-dev libgtk2.0-dev

Maverick's x11proto-kb-dev is not new enough (for libxkbcommon
from git), but Natty's is, and you can download it from
http://packages.ubuntu.com/natty/x11proto-kb-dev
And install it via "dpkg -i x11proto-kb-dev".

--
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire,
a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should