Ubuntu Maverack nouveau (nvidia) build script for Wayland

Darxus at chaosreigns.com Darxus at chaosreigns.com
Wed Nov 10 15:13:23 PST 2010

http://www.chaosreigns.com/wayland/wayland_build.sh

Run it in a temp directory (I use ~/wayland ).
Installs everything into $HOME/install

If you have an X server running using the nouveau (open source nvidia)
drivers with DRI enabled, under Ubuntu Maverick, this will download and
build everything, and then run wayland and a few clients.

All you need to do to switch to nouveau with DRI is

 sudo aptitude install libgl1-mesa-dri-experimental
 usermod -a -G video darxus # where "darxus" is your username

That package is in the official Maverick Universe repository.  But it's
still experimental, upstream is not even accepting bug reports, and may
ignite your computer.

Then disable the proprietary driver in System / Administration / Additional
Drivers, and reboot.

Verify DRI is working:

$ glxinfo | grep direct
direct rendering: Yes

Then just run that script.  Takes about 4 minutes on a quad core Pentium 4
2.40GHz, not including downloads.

You'll probably want something like 'export MAKEFLAGS="-j 8"' to use
multiple CPU cores while compiling.

I don't recommend putting that LD_LIBRARY_PATH in your ~/.bashrc.  When I
had it in my /etc/ld.so.conf and rebooted, X didn't start, which isn't
surprising.

Stuff it rebuilds (all from git) (in order):
  drm mesa xproto kbproto macros libX11 libxkbcommon cairo wayland

This is largely based on instructions from csj for use with an Intel video
card:  http://grep.tw/blog/?p=1061

Running the wayland compositor outside of X just gives me a screen full of
garbage.

--
"It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority."
- Benjamin Franklin