Summary of the anti-aliasing issue

jonsmirl at gmail.com jonsmirl at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 09:54:13 PST 2010

2010/11/22 Kristian Høgsberg <krh at bitplanet.net>:
> On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 12:14 PM, jonsmirl at gmail.com <jonsmirl at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Right now the rendering engines are drawing into flat, rectangular
>> buffers. These buffers are then composited by Wayland using
>> transforms. The problem with this is that any transform (other than
>> simple copy) done by Wayland will mess up the anti-aliasing
>> computations made by the rendering engine (or app).
>
> And that's the core design of wayland.  You're welcome to propose and
> implement an extension that lets the compositor inform the clients of
> the transformation being applied to them on a per frame basis.  It's
> not something I'm working on, and I think it's outside the scope of
> Wayland as it is.  We can add it later if it turns out it's a killer
> feature, but right it's your baby and if you want to see it happen,
> put your code where your mouth is.

I'm committed to working full time on an embedded system (with no
screen) so I'm unable to spend time on graphics code.

The issue is out there now. If we are serious about making every
screen pixel perfect it is something that needs to be implemented.
Adding it to the API early will make it easier for app writers to
adopt to using it.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com