What's wrong with wayland?

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Sun Feb 20 13:12:42 PST 2011

* Sam Spilsbury <smspillaz at gmail.com> schrieb:

> But the core part of X11 is that it only managed windows and
> pixmaps which were owned by clients running in different processes
> over a network protocol. The window manager and compositors are
> implemented externally, using that information from the server to
> blit the graphics on to the screen and actually change the size
> and position of the windows.

ACK. And that is a very strong concept. It allows one to eg. choose
window manager on the fly and even run it on a different host.
Very handy for distributed environments.

I, personally, definitively don't want to loose that, similarily
as I also never want to loose the ability to run individual
clients on separate hosts easily.

> The key difference with wayland is two-fold. First of all, it
> recognizes that server-side rendering is a bit useless and

Why exactly is that useless ? Do you want all remote clients to
transfer huge bitmaps for every little change on screen ? Or
do you want no remote clients at all ?

> Second of all, it integrates the windowmanager, compositing manager
> and window server into one process(through libwayland-compositor).

That's the point that annoys me: I want the window manager to
remain separate and exchangable at runtime.

> Wayland requires that you render to a graphics buffer on the hardware
> (eg direct to memory that is accessible to the video card).

So, no chance for distribution between several hosts, virtualization, etc.

At this point, I'm really curious about what makes it so different from
or better than Fusion ?

> It is also likely that any other drawing frameworks are going to be
> implemented on top of OpenGL ES since that is the most portable way
> of implementing a draw-to-buffer method.

What about graphics devices that don't support it ?
Software rendering ?

cu

 phone:  +49 36207 519931  email: weigelt at metux.de
 mobile: +49 151 27565287  icq:   210169427         skype: nekrad666