What's wrong with wayland?

Casey Dahlin cdahlin at redhat.com
Mon Feb 21 08:29:59 PST 2011

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 10:12:42PM +0100, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> That's the point that annoys me: I want the window manager to
> remain separate and exchangable at runtime.

Then just use a proxy compositor over your wayland compositor.

Wayland doesn't, IMHO, replace X, so much as it replaces the window
manager. It manages to do this in a way that is clever, so much so that
it /obviates/ X. We don't replace X, we just get rid of it and let the
window manager do the scanout and clientside conversation by itself.

--CJD