GTK multiple backends

Darxus at chaosreigns.com Darxus at chaosreigns.com
Fri Jan 7 18:30:22 PST 2011

Kristian recently posted to his blog about updating his wayland backend for
gtk to use the multiple backend support which was very recently merged into
gtk, and that he moved it to the gdk-backend-wayland branch of the upstream
gtk git repo:
http://hoegsberg.blogspot.com/2011/01/multiple-backends-for-gtk.html
Includes a screenshot of testgtk running twice against a single build
of gtk, one through x11, the other through wayland.

More recently in irc he mentioned he got vte to work, the terminal
emulator that comes with libvte, on which gnome-terminal is built.

I haven't been able to get it to work, but I updated my ubuntu
build script to build it (set build_gtk=1 near the top):
http://www.chaosreigns.com/wayland/ubuntu.html

Since wayland with nouveau is still not working with the latest git version
of mesa, people using it will need to uncomment the following line to
revert to the last working commit:

 git reset --hard 6a102074bb30e44273e999ee8cdd2afbfbc4e333 && git clean -x -f -d

The script launches testgtk and vte (vte2_90).  For me they both show
up as rectangles of garbled video memory.

So I'm curious who else it is or isn't working for.  I'm using nouveau.

All applications you wish to run with wayland through gtk will need to be
recompiled (or possibly relinked) against the current git version of gtk,
due to renaming of the library from libgtk-x11-2.0.so to libgtk-3.0.so.

The announcement of the merger of backend support in gtk is here:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-announce-list/2010-December/msg00036.html