How to create a window manager for Wayland?

Joakim Sindholt bacn at zhasha.com
Sat Jan 8 05:11:47 PST 2011

On Sat, 2011-01-08 at 12:26 +0100, Simon Friis wrote:
> Thanks. I will check them out.
>

> I do know that a Wayland wm will have to be a compositor. But I don't
> really know how complicated making a compositor is. What will I have
> to know?
It's not really that complex. Wayland is pretty much just a buffer
management system, and your job in writing a compositor will be to take
the buffers given to you by applications and render them appropriately.
The protocol is intentionally vague in order to allow you to do pretty
much whatever you please with the buffers. That means you could write a
window manager that operates in 3D space, or allows rotation of windows.
As long as you can still redirect input to the correct surfaces
(windows) you're all set.

PS. when replying to a mailing list, you should do a group reply.