Getting pid of focus window

Marty Jack martyj19 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 18 09:08:32 PST 2011

The major problem with PropertyNotify events, or with having generalized properties of any kind, is that they are too much like polled interrupts rather than vectored interrupts.  You get the event, but you then have to poll to see which thing changed.

Also, the protocol design seems to be more like RPC than "read a struct".

I would guess we will identify a dozen or so things that other pieces of the system will want to keep an eye on, so you can write what we now know as panels, and then set up callbacks you can ask for to be notified when they change, and some inbound protocol to make requests like Iconify or Raise.  Like what EWMH and libwnck is for today.  I have a draft of this in process that I promised a while back.  I will see if I can't get it cleaned up and posted in the next couple of days.

If you have argument marshalling already in the protocol for other purposes, there is little reason not to deliver an integer as int rather than a string that everyone has to have parsing code for.  Definitely on board with UTF-8 as the only choice for text, though.