Getting pid of focus window

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 08:50:20 PST 2011

I expect Wayland will add a "attach this blob of data to this
window+key" similar to X window properties, for IPC to the compositor
and other software.

The question is whether software is going to be required to keep these
things up to date for information that Wayland must know anyway.
Requiring the compositor to track the focus changes and set an attribute
on a window so other programs can see which window has focus seems
wasteful and unreliable, since Wayland is using this information itself
anyway.

But rather than adding a "give me the focus window" api, it may make a
lot of sense for Wayland to automatically update a set of properties. Ie
there would always be a "which window has focus" property without the
compositor having to set it. Instead Wayland sets it internally. Sort of
like the /proc filesystem.

PS: Please make the properties be UTF-8 text only (well actually byte
streams with some non-enforced encouragement that they be UTF-8 text).
No data types. Programs can parse and this is much more user and
programmer friendly.