Checklist: Support applications viewpoint

Marty Jack martyj19 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 27 10:43:05 PST 2011

Packaging issues
	User-side fonts: right now, upstream is x.org for many of them
		What of bdftopcf, mkfontdir, mkfontscale
		What of bitmap fonts
	User-side cursors:
		What of xcursorgen, libXcursor, the on-disk format
			Would probably be good to be compatible, so extant cursor themes still work
	Root surface
		Determine who owns it and draws background and its cursor: xsetroot
	Proxying things to and from the X-server-as-Wayland-client
		I am thinking monitor setup, keyboard/mouse setup
		Does an X client get valid EWMH properties for the Wayland clients, or is this strictly low-grade legacy emulation?
	Where do standard color names live?  What long ago was in rgb.txt e.g. "green30"
	Keyboard description loading
		Right now we are sharing the structure definitions
			This is probably equivalent to having Khronos be the upstream for other definitions
			Some pressure to expand XkbNumKbdGroups, XkbMaxLegalKeyCode
				Collision with groups_wrap bits, but they don't appear to be used or helpful
				Collision in XkbIndicatorMapRec groups with XkbAnyGroupMask; documentation is wrong wrt compiler
			Some pressure to both expand and discontinue Geometry
		Right now we are sharing the KeySym definitions
			Opportunity for further KeySym consolidation to Unicode
		Right now we are sharing the keyboard layout definitions
			Lots of accumulated wisdom, but also lots of historical baggage on long dead equipment (/usr/share/X11/xkb/)
			There is more that could be done to simplify processing
				Actions keyed off of KeySym rather than compatibility map
		Transitioned from libxkbfile, xkbcomp to a new library libxkbcommon, discontinue Xkm format