Xft and XCursor

Michal Suchanek hramrach at centrum.cz
Fri Jun 17 03:15:47 PDT 2011

On 17 June 2011 10:29, Lukas Sommer <sommerluk at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> About Wayland I have the following questions:
>
> When we run, in some future, a Wayland-only session, how will
> Wayland-enabled applications behave in the following things:
>
> - Xft: How to retrieve the font DPI setting and how to determine which font
> at which size will be used?
>
> - XCursor: Will the X11 cursor themes work on Wayland or will there be a
> different standard? How can we configure it?
>
> Currently, I'm taking a look at KDE configuration and how to set the font
> DPI and how to change the cursor size. Will this still work in Wayland or do
> we need to reimplement it?

It will definitely have to be reimplemented, at the very least to read
the settings from Wayland and not X.

Cursors are likely trivial.

However, DPI is a problem. I am not sure Wyaland even handles DPI in
any way at this point.

One problem is that DPI (and RGB order or even the available color
components) may vary in different parts of the display (eg. in
multiscreen configuration). X and current Xft uses don't account for
this.

Thanks

Michal