some documents for buiding and understanding wayland

Zhao, Juan J juan.j.zhao at intel.com
Mon Oct 24 03:25:00 PDT 2011

Hi Tiago,

> For the wayland building sheet, the actual building steps are pretty
> similar from the ones on the wiki page. I guess we could emphasize there
> though, a bit more how to circumvent that eglInitialize error; I have
> myself forgot to install xcb-dri2 and xcb-fixes and seen also some guys
> on #wayland channel falling into the same problems. Maybe you want to
> help writing a patch for the wiki page?

Yes, I will send the patch later soon. Before, I just do not know how to send a path to the wiki page.
Maybe the process is the same as the code git tree. I will have a try.

> The root permission errors are a bit tricky. We will most definitely
> want to use a launcher root program that gives the permissions for the
> fd, set tty, and switch to a normal user. I prototyped something here:
>
>    http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~vignatti/wayland-demos/log/?h=launcher-2

Yes, that's really a tricky way. It is really great to prototype this.
I found another way to change the udev rules for /dev/dri/card0 and some input resources which is the same in meego for Xorg non-root access.
But it looks it is still not good enough than you method.

> About the other document you wrote, that's quite cool as well. We might
> want to drop some of what you've done in the implementation part of the
> spec - which is not a specification only btw:
>
>    http://cgit.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland/tree/spec/main.tex
I'm glad if I can provide some help here.

> Then, you put together some information about the interfaces which could
> also go in the spec document and some could go in the form of commentary
> on the protocol .xml:
>
>    http://cgit.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland/tree/protocol/wayland.xml

To be honest, some interface introduction is from this file. It is hard to understand without reading this file.
I will add some explanation to this file if I add some extra information. The patch will be sent later soon. :)

> I hope understand our overall intention here, which is not to spread lot
> of documents around but instead try to centralize them.
I just do not know how to contribute to you about these documents.
I thought the mail list always loves the code only. Obviously, I'm wrong.
Again, I will send the patches as needed.
Thank you!

-----
Juan