Unresponsive applications

Niklas Höglund nhoglund at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 00:25:53 PDT 2011

I've got one questions about unresponsive applications.

I'm quite good at punishing computers. I've found that many
applications stop responding when they shouldn't, for example when
accessing the disk (say if I trash the disk a lot doing something else
at the same time).

Last time I read about Wayland, decorations and window management was
going to be done client side. I realize from the discussions going on
that this may no longer be the case, but if client side decorations
are used, how would you envisage the user interaction would work to
allow me to minimize (or otherwise get rid of) a temporarily
non-responding application. I'd like to be able to keep doing work in
other apps in this scenario, or at least get to a command prompt /
task manager so I can kill the non-responding one.