Client permissions

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 11:19:37 PDT 2011

There is a concern that a malicious user-space program can cause
trouble, such as covering the screen with it's window, taking all the
events, or pretending to be a system service such as a request for the
sudo password.

I think Wayland intends for compositors to prevent this, since the
compositor will always be able to control the sending of events and the
location and size of the composited images on the screen. The compositor
is assumed to not be malicious and be protected from modifications by
user programs without the sudo password.

This does seem to lead a lot of people to think the compositor has to do
a lot of stuff that I don't believe it has to, for instance drawing of
the borders of windows. IMHO if a malicious program has to be prevented
from doing something wrong it is acceptable if the resulting graphics
are not perfect, for instance a window that tries to be too big without
permission can just be clipped or scaled, even though that will remove
or scale the window border. In fact the bad graphics will make it clear
the program is misbehaving.