Running xserver

Scott Moreau oreaus at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 13:41:19 PDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 10:46 AM, Bill Spitzak <spitzak at gmail.com> wrote:

> Any hints on what is needed to make xserver work under x11-compositor?
>
> Is it possible without setuid?
>
> From the sample launch script I have, it seems to require running wayland
> with --xserver, and also running the new Xorg (which did compile and
> install) with "-wayland -rootless :2".
>
> I am a little confused as to why there are two steps. It seems the xserver
> can be entirely a wayland client. It does seem both are doing xorg things,
> including writing to a log file and reading xorg.conf. Any quick
> explanation as to what is being done by wayland and what is being done by
> Xorg? Or perhaps (as I kind of hope...) I have just found two ways of doing
> the same thing, and only running this xorg is needed?
>
> The script and error messages indicate that I need a special xorg.conf
> file, which I don't have. Anybody have an example? Or any other guesses as
> to how this should work?
>
> I really do want to do some development of the shell api, but since the
> xserver is probably the most important client of that right now I don't
> think it would be a good idea to try anything without making that work.

It sounds like you should read the xwayland build guide
http://wayland.freedesktop.org/xserver.html
There's no trick to it, you just install everything and start weston with
--xserver and DISPLAY should automatically be set in the environment so you
can start running X apps. Read the build guide and use the default
configure options, you don't need to do all this extra stuff you do to
break it before it has a chance to work.