Input method and input/output redirect under wayland

Yichao Yu yyc1992 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 05:40:06 PDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 4:49 AM, Jan Arne Petersen
<jpetersen at openismus.com> wrote:
> On 08/31/2012 01:06 AM, Yichao Yu wrote:
>>> The im server would not get the cursor location itself but just request
>>> to get its overlay window positioned at the cursor.
>>>

>> What about the relative position to the cursor?
>>
>> For example, the overlay window might contain both a "preedit" and a
>> vertical candidate list (which is pretty common) and suppose the input
>> surface is close to the edge of the screen. Obviously, we want to put
>> the overlay window inside the screen (if possible). So who will be in
>> charge of the window positioning?
>>
>> AFAIK, the im server (as a wayland client) cannot do this because it
>> has no idea where the edge of the screen is, and if we let the
>> compositor position the window, the im server will not be able to set
>> the orientation of the overlay window accordingly. For example, when
>> it is closed to the bottom[1] or not[2]. This is actually the simplest
>> case, things can be more tricky if the overlay window is too large
>> (can happen if the screen is small and if you choose to position
>> candidate words horizontally). Someone (either the compositor or the
>> imserver) MUST know the both size of the window and the edge of the
>> screen in order to position the overlay correctly, and the im-server
>> MUST at least know the relative position to the cursor in order to set
>> the content of the overlay window correctly. So isn't it better to add
>> some interaction between compositor and im-server here?
>
> The compositor will send an event to the im-server telling the im-server
> where the cursor is relative to the overlay surface (i.e. bottom-left,
> top-left etc).

And also a relative position (for this case[1])?
And would it be better if the im-server can at least request for
preferred order of acceptable positioning ways if you want to do it
this way? Clip by the screen is almost always the worst thing, but
either shifting the overlay[1] or position it in another direction (my
previous screen shots) may be a better way depending on the situation.

[1] http://wstaw.org/m/2012/08/31/gs-kimpanel.png