libwayland and Java

Jason Ekstrand jason at jlekstrand.net
Sun Dec 16 18:11:51 PST 2012

Hello All,
My name is Jason Ekstrand and I'm currently working on writing a Wayland
server for Android. This is not to be confused with what Pekka Paalanen is
working on; rather, my objective is to make a Wayland server that runs as
an actual Android app. I have a basic proof-of-concept working without any
input capabilities.

In order to tie into the Android services and events systems, a lot of
things have to be implemented in Java. It will be simpler if I can write
the entire server in Java. To that end, I'm writing Java bindings to
libwayland and have come across a few snags. Specifically, I really wish I
could do my own marshaling. Right now, I'm having to generate native
methods for every even just so that I can call the variadic
wl_resource_post_event. It would be much easier if there were a version
that could take an array of arguments so I could do everything at runtime.
I also have a function that translates c arguments to java for requests.
Again, I have to generate a native function for every request so that I can
pass in valid function pointers. It would be great if libwayland could call
my marshaling function directly and let me handle calling the request
callback. Would it be practical to build this kind of support into
libwayland?

Also, I would appreciate any feedback on wayland app project in general.

Thanks,
--Jason Ekstrand