xwm-client patches, version 2

Tiago Vignatti tiago.vignatti at linux.intel.com
Fri Dec 28 08:45:48 PST 2012

Hi,

On 12/19/2012 07:24 PM, Scott Moreau wrote:

> I decided to give this series a test run. The patches apply with a few
> whitespace errors. As far as I can tell, xwayland clients work about the
> same as without these patch sets. The worst thing I noticed was an
> occasional decoration flicker when grabbing the titlebar. So thanks for
> tackling this, you can have my Tested By here.

On top of the patches I've added a few important fixes on weston and
xwm, most related with resources deallocation:

   xwm: Free and destroy xwm_window after all drawing is deferred
   xwayland: Null out surface pointers after surface is destroyed
   xwayland: Fix opaque override region on override-redirected windows
   xwayland: Fix look up of xserver_window pointers
   xwayland: Destroy xwin resources after used

they are all on my tree now. Also, as you said, very apparent changes
shouldn't be noticed on X clients with this patch set. This is a good
feedback actually :) The only visible improvement you should see is that
X windows now are positioned correctly (globally) and not at 0,0 like
before; good examples are xeyes and most subwindows (so say a menu will
be shifted correctly regarding output's dimensions, something that was
not possible before).

For the flicker on the titlebar, I don't think we can do much now
because it's drawn by X and is single-buffered. It's something was there
before also (e.g. when you resize is very visible). If we eventually
replace the border by one backed with a Wayland buffer instead this will
be improved. But I think this will start to bump with Pekka's subsurface
work, so we may want to check later only. Override opaque region has to
be re-thought as well to be synced the updates with the content window.

Anyways, I appreciate your testing, Scott! And I've added the Tested-by
signature on those commits. Thank you,

Tiago