[wayland-devel] RFC: Ideas to run weston on nvidia/ATI blob with hardware acceleration

Scott Moreau oreaus at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 13:41:37 PDT 2012

> Personally I feel this is necessary if wayland is going to succeed.

Wayland is already successful in a large way. It is most certainly not
contingent upon proprietary drivers supporting wayland.

Nvidia will likely fix their driver, but only *AFTER* wayland is being used.

It will likely be used by distros, perhaps without users even knowing it.
Such is the case with canonicals plans to use a wayland system compositor
as boot splash, desktop manager and underneath X, where there is driver
support. We could see something like this as early as 12.10 since the code
for it already works.

> Wayland will not be used by large segments of the Linux desktop-using
> industry unless full NVIDIA acceleration works.

This is a completely wrong assumption. After distros begin adopting
wayland, it will likely be the default in many cases.

I agree with Sebastian's statement "Let Nvidia adapt to Wayland/Weston and
not the other way around.". It's all smoke-n-mirrors until there is some
actual working implementation in the form of code. Even so, I think that
those choosing to use a binary driver should use what that driver supports
(X.org). When or if they choose to support wayland is their decision. I
don't see any reason to perform extensive hacks to make wayland work where
there is no actual upstream driver support. If someone hacks something
somehow to say wayland works on a proprietary desktop driver, great, more
power to you. However, I don't think it's going to happen.

Scott