Compiling Newest Wayland on Ubuntu 12.04 Precise

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 13:10:33 PDT 2012

As suggested I updated my machine to Ubuntu 12.04, then cleared out all
of Wayland and built again, using the wayland build script here (edited
to assume the current directory is the source, I don't know why he keeps
changing this):

  http://www.chaosreigns.com/wayland/buildscript/dl/wayland-build-0.85.sh

This all compiled with no errors. However wayland is working a lot worse
than my previous compiles (this is all using x11-compositor on my noveau
driven desktop and a rather dated Nvidia card):

  1. Running without the config file does not produce a usable desktop.
I think the previous one used the location of weston to guess the
location of weston-terminal (ie it figures out it is in ~/install/bin),
the new one seems to have hard-coded /usr/bin. Also the supplied config
file is much worse than the built-in default, having garish colors and
lacking the rather nice tiled pattern background. These really should be
fixed just so the initial experience of wayland, and the experience if
config files are missing, is not so unpleasant. I know it is the toy
shell but I think this is going to be the initial experience for a lot
of users.

  2. Window buttons have vanished. I suspect this is because it cannot
find the icons. I have no idea how (or if) fixing the config file will
fix this. Previous version worked, and if the path was wrong it still
produced blank buttons, which was better than current behavior!

  3. The clickdot demo has vanished, including the source code. This was
actually a good instructive demo on how to use toytoolkit.

  4. simple-egl now fails with a short error message. Rather annoying
since I am now stuck with shm clients only.

I am rather surprised at the number of changes like this, and was
wondering if in fact there was some problem with the build.