Compiling Newest Wayland on Ubuntu 12.04 Precise

Scott Moreau oreaus at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 13:39:25 PDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Bill Spitzak <spitzak at gmail.com> wrote:

> As suggested I updated my machine to Ubuntu 12.04, then cleared out all of
> Wayland and built again, using the wayland build script here (edited to
> assume the current directory is the source, I don't know why he keeps
> changing this):
>
>  http://www.chaosreigns.com/**wayland/buildscript/dl/**
> wayland-build-0.85.sh<http://www.chaosreigns.com/wayland/buildscript/dl/wayland-build-0.85.sh>
>
> This all compiled with no errors. However wayland is working a lot worse
> than my previous compiles (this is all using x11-compositor on my noveau
> driven desktop and a rather dated Nvidia card):
>
>  1. Running without the config file does not produce a usable desktop. I
> think the previous one used the location of weston to guess the location of
> weston-terminal (ie it figures out it is in ~/install/bin), the new one
> seems to have hard-coded /usr/bin. Also the supplied config file is much
> worse than the built-in default, having garish colors and lacking the
> rather nice tiled pattern background. These really should be fixed just so
> the initial experience of wayland, and the experience if config files are
> missing, is not so unpleasant. I know it is the toy shell but I think this
> is going to be the initial experience for a lot of users.

This is a matter of opinion. If you feel strongly about it, you are free to
submit patches to change the default config file.

>  2. Window buttons have vanished.

This is also an opinion.

> I suspect this is because it cannot find the icons. I have no idea how (or
> if) fixing the config file will fix this.

Did you even try?

> Previous version worked, and if the path was wrong it still produced blank
> buttons, which was better than current behavior!

This is yet another opinion. If the launcher has a icon path pointing to a
nonexistent file, it will not be displayed.

>  3. The clickdot demo has vanished, including the source code. This was
> actually a good instructive demo on how to use toytoolkit.

I have no idea what would make you think that, but it's still right where
it's always been
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/wayland/weston/tree/clients/clickdot.c

>  4. simple-egl now fails with a short error message. Rather annoying since
> I am now stuck with shm clients only.

1) This sounds like a driver issue 2) Using X backend? DRM? Both? 3) You
expect people to guess what the message was? There's no reason not to post
it. Additionally, you should set all debug environment variables and file a
bug report on the bug tracker.

> I am rather surprised at the number of changes like this, and was
> wondering if in fact there was some problem with the build.

Breakage is to be expected during heavy development. Patches welcome.

Scott