Build problems on Ubuntu Natty (11.04)

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 10:18:26 PDT 2012

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 08:23:45 -0700
Bill Spitzak <spitzak at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 03/14/2012 12:56 AM, Pekka Paalanen wrote:
>
> >> The display is still black with a tiny icon in the corner.
> >> Clicking the icon produces:
> >>
> >> failed to create display: Permission denied
> >> failed to create display: Permission denied
> >> child 8578 exited
> >
> > Did you install weston as setuid? Are the socket file
> > permissions preventing connections?
>
> That certainly is what I suspect.
>
> ~/install/bin/weston is setuid and owner and group are set to
> root.
>
> Also ~/install/libexec/ and
> ~/install/libexec/weston-desktop-shell and
> ~/install/libexec/weston-tablet-shell have owner and group set to
> root, which is a bit annoying but probably a side-effect of doing
> "sudo make install" in weston.

Yeah.

> When weston is running, I guess these are the sockets, they are
> set as follows:
>
> ls -l /tmp
> srwxr-xr-x 1 root    spitzak       0 2012-03-14 08:17 wayland-0

You don't have write permission to the named pipe, that's the
culprit. This needs fixing in weston.

To me it's a bit of a surprise to hear that weston-desktop-shell
is running fine (it draws the panel and background), maybe weston
runs it as root then.

Installing weston without suid should be a workaround.