About decorations in Unity

Damián Nohales damiannohales at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 15:16:34 PDT 2012

Hi there!

I have a question, simply curiosity.

I'm sure you noticed the behaviour of window decorations in case of
Unity shell. I mean, when a window is maximized, the decorations  begins
to form part of the top panel, showing in a different way respect to the
window.

How developers would implement this behaviour through Wayland compositor
and clients?

Maybe a protocol that allow to compositor to tell clients to
enable/disable decorations drawing, compositor should to use this
protocol when a client surface is maximized/unmaximized and clients
adapt the GUI in the best way depending on the case.

Or perhaps dealing with client surfaces and shell surfaces overlapping.

Have you thought about this? What is your suggestion?

Best regards!