Weston on Android - First light

Graham Cantin kamilion at gmail.com
Tue May 1 02:06:04 PDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 12:50 PM, Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 10:00:18 +0800
> Alex Wu <zhiwen.wu at linux.intel.com> wrote:
>
> > 于 2012/4/27 20:56, Pekka Paalanen 写道:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I am happy to announce the first step towards a Wayland stack on
> > > Android: simple-shm runs with Weston on a Galaxy Nexus!
> > >
> > > The whole story, a picture, and a video:
> > > http://ppaalanen.blogspot.com/2012/04/first-light-from-weston-on-android.html
> >
> > That is so cool.
> > Is it possible to make a wayland backend for Android window
> > system?
>
> Not without a serious effort in rewriting the relevant Android components.
> Android's window system is fairly similar to X in that it has several
> concurrent components (threads/processes) that are linked to each other
> in complex ways. Unlike Android, X has ICCCM and EWMH docs...
> I believe the Android stuff is not designed to be replaced, piecewise or
> whole. Then there is also Binder, which is a very different IPC mechanism
> to any traditional Unix ones, and Android components seem to use that
> practically exclusively.
>

> On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 16:16:48 +0200
> Andreas Ericsson <ae at op5.se> wrote:
>
> > That's severely cool. Awesome job :)
>
> Thanks. :-)
>

> On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 15:12:35 -0400
> Kristian Hoegsberg <hoegsberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Very cool work, congrats Pekka!
>
> Thank you :-)
>

> On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 07:44:00 -0700 (PDT)
> yan.wang at linux.intel.com wrote:
>
> > Very cool. Is it native app? In the future, will it support JAVA
> > app?
>
> It is native, but it is not buildable by the NDK. I build it
> as part of the system image, so I guess that makes it a
> platform development kit (PDK) app.
>
> By Java you probably mean Android Java apps, and I think that
> would require implementing the whole Android UI stack on top
> of Wayland, pretty much what I answered to Alex Wu.
>
> It is still a long way to support even Wayland GL apps, let's
> concentrate on that first. And even before that, I need to finish
> the Android backend.
>

> Thanks,
> pq

Does that mean it should be possible sometime 'soon' to run xwayland
-> wayland -> SurfaceFlinger?
I've not seen any xservers that work on android as yet; and I'd really
really like to use x2go or one of it's ilk on my galaxy tab.
vino's screensharing/console attach is rather broken in recent
ubuntus, xrdp's never worked quite right;
 so the only options one has right now is good old xvnc/tightvncserver
running it's own unique X display, and performance is predictably
horrible unless you drop down to heavily compressed 8-bit.

--
[     Graham Cantin      ] | (408) 890-7463 - Google Voice FindME
"You're arrogant for thinking you can, ignorant for thinking you cannot."