Weston on Android - First light

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Wed May 2 03:38:10 PDT 2012

On Tue, 1 May 2012 02:06:04 -0700
Graham Cantin <kamilion at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 07:44:00 -0700 (PDT)
> > yan.wang at linux.intel.com wrote:
> >
> > > Very cool. Is it native app? In the future, will it support JAVA
> > > app?
> >
> > It is native, but it is not buildable by the NDK. I build it
> > as part of the system image, so I guess that makes it a
> > platform development kit (PDK) app.
> >
> > By Java you probably mean Android Java apps, and I think that
> > would require implementing the whole Android UI stack on top
> > of Wayland, pretty much what I answered to Alex Wu.
> >
> > It is still a long way to support even Wayland GL apps, let's
> > concentrate on that first. And even before that, I need to finish
> > the Android backend.
> >

> > Thanks,
> > pq
>
> Does that mean it should be possible sometime 'soon' to run xwayland
> -> wayland -> SurfaceFlinger?

No, because SurfaceFlinger cannot co-exist with my work. In the far
future it might, but not soon.

However, in theory, it should be possible to run xwayland with the
wlshm output driver. Of course, you'd have to port everything needed for
X to the Android build and runtime environment, which might be months
of dedicated work (a wild guess).