Western runs on Ubuntu 10.10 but displays a window with no content and error on console

souvik.datta at wipro.com souvik.datta at wipro.com
Fri May 18 11:40:13 PDT 2012

Hello Scott, Hello Darxus,
As suggested by you guys, I have upgraded my system to Ubuntu 11.10 and now I am able to run weston and other clients (using wayland-build-0.85.sh). (although I  am not able to run Gtk3 clients as they are throwing errors)
Thanks a lot for your suggestion. So the root cause of the problem seems to be old version of Ubuntu 10.10 ( Kernel - ?? supporting packages - ??)

Now, that I have got Wayland running, I would like to dig in to the technical details of it as my final aim is to port this on an embedded board. But as I am very new to Linux graphics stack, so I would to first understand few basics. May be I would be posting my queries on a different thread.

Just for the starting, can you please explain:
1. When I am running weston and clients (say simple-egl) from a live X session, is Weston running on top of X? But I guess this is different from XWayland where Xserver is a rootless client of Weston. (just the opposite I believe) Is this understanding correct?
2. When I move to a text terminal (Ctrl+Alt+ F1, with X still running), I am able to run weston and simple-egl, but this time X display server is not coming in to picture. Is this understanding correct? Which is the backend in this case?

Sorry for my novice queries, but it would be very helpful if you could kindly provide me answers to the above queries.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Souvik