Western runs on Ubuntu 10.10 but displays a window with no content and error on console

Scott Moreau oreaus at gmail.com
Fri May 18 11:57:51 PDT 2012

> As suggested by you guys, I have upgraded my system to Ubuntu 11.10 and
> now I am able to run weston and other clients (using wayland-build-0.85.sh).
> (although I  am not able to run Gtk3 clients as they are throwing errors)
> Thanks a lot for your suggestion. So the root cause of the problem seems
> to be old version of Ubuntu 10.10 ( Kernel - ?? supporting packages - ??)

That's good to hear. I'm guessing the kernel bits were too old.

> Now, that I have got Wayland running, I would like to dig in to the
> technical details of it as my final aim is to port this on an embedded
> board. But as I am very new to Linux graphics stack, so I would to first
> understand few basics. May be I would be posting my queries on a different
> thread.

Yes, might be a good idea to start a new thread. Also, there is #wayland on
irc.freenode.net where you can find us.

> Just for the starting, can you please explain:
> 1. When I am running weston and clients (say simple-egl) from a live X
> session, is Weston running on top of X?

Yes. Weston is running as an X client in this case.

> But I guess this is different from XWayland where Xserver is a rootless
> client of Weston. (just the opposite I believe) Is this understanding
> correct?

Yes, weston listens on display :1 for X clients and starts an xserver it
then uses a special window manager to display them as weston clients.

> 2. When I move to a text terminal (Ctrl+Alt+ F1, with X still running), I
> am able to run weston and simple-egl, but this time X display server is not
> coming in to picture.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean here.

> Sorry for my novice queries, but it would be very helpful if you could
> kindly provide me answers to the above queries.

It's no problem.

Regards,

Scott