Introduce panel window list

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 09:53:00 PST 2012

On 11/03/2012 10:31 PM, Scott Moreau wrote:
> This patch series implements several new features for the shell. The focus is
> a window list for the panel. There are a decent amount of protocol additions
> required but fortunately most of them are local weston desktop-shell protocol.
> The wayland protcol patch is needed for 5/7 on.

Is there a way for a panel entry to control more than one window?

I think there has to be an "entry in the panel" object which is not a
surface, and windows have an item saying which they belong to. The
maximize/minimize events would be sent to this entry object.

Since this would replicate a lot of api for shell surfaces, perhaps it
should be one. I'm not sure how hard it is to make a shell surface that
does not itself have a real surface. If this is possible, then this
combined with a "parent surface" in all shell surfaces would allow an
arbitrary tree to be associated with a panel entry. Surfaces with no
parent would be panel entries.

It is a requirement that the client be able to change the "parent
surface" of a surface at any time and the panel correctly update on all
changes that do not produce a loop.