Introduce panel window list

Scott Moreau oreaus at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 10:00:55 PST 2012

On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Bill Spitzak <spitzak at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/03/2012 10:31 PM, Scott Moreau wrote:
>
>> This patch series implements several new features for the shell. The
>> focus is
>> a window list for the panel. There are a decent amount of protocol
>> additions
>> required but fortunately most of them are local weston desktop-shell
>> protocol.
>> The wayland protcol patch is needed for 5/7 on.
>>

> Is there a way for a panel entry to control more than one window?
>
> I think there has to be an "entry in the panel" object which is not a
> surface, and windows have an item saying which they belong to. The
> maximize/minimize events would be sent to this entry object.
>
> Since this would replicate a lot of api for shell surfaces, perhaps it
> should be one. I'm not sure how hard it is to make a shell surface that
> does not itself have a real surface. If this is possible, then this
> combined with a "parent surface" in all shell surfaces would allow an
> arbitrary tree to be associated with a panel entry. Surfaces with no parent
> would be panel entries.
>
> It is a requirement that the client be able to change the "parent surface"
> of a surface at any time and the panel correctly update on all changes that
> do not produce a loop.

You seem to be talking about some sort of grouping algorithm which doesn't
fit in the scope of this patch series. The purpose here is to have a simple
way to test the new protocol. We do not want to immediately complicate
things with advanced assumptions but instead, take it one step at a time.
There are plenty of missing features and patches are welcome.

Scott